Most Orders Ship Same Day!
• Please see Item Description for any Shipping Delays. •
Shipping calculated at checkout.
WHAT WOULD YOU DO if your friend or loved one suffered a severe injury or illness while out in the backcountry? Help could be hours or even days away, and they may be looking to YOU to help them until emergency services can be contacted and they can be transported to definitive care.
Wilderness Medicine: What To Do When You Can't Call 911 provides both basic and in-depth information on how to recognize, treat, and manage both common injuries and illnesses as well as life-threatening conditions when professional emergency medical care is an hour away or more. Designed for those who work or travel in remote locations, this comprehensive guide will teach you what to look for, what to do in the event of an emergency, and then help direct you in the most appropriate type of care. This book is used as the course textbook for the Wilderness First Aid, Wilderness First Responder, and Wilderness EMT classes taught by Center for Wilderness Safety.
A Sampling of Topics Covered Include:
• An introduction to wilderness medicine
• Risk management, the ten essentials, and emergency preparedness
• Medical-legal aspects of care, wilderness protocols, and documentation
• The patient assessment system & human anatomy
• Respiratory, airway, and breathing emergencies
• Cardiac emergencies and shock
• Suspected spinal and traumatic brain injuries
• Soft tissue injuries, burns & blisters
• Poisons, toxins, allergies & anaphylaxis
• North American snakebites, bites & stings, bear safety
• Weather & environmental emergencies (heat, cold, lightning, altitude, etc.)
• Backcountry & sudden illnesses
• Hydration & hygiene issues
• Gender-specific issues
• Search and rescue basics
• Mental health emergencies
• Drowning & water-based emergencies
• Pediatric considerations
• Wilderness first aid kits and pharmacology
• And more...
Authors: Clifton Castleman, Phil W Gardner II, Jennifer Kay
Paperback: 242 pages
Publisher: Center for Wilderness Safety; Lulu.com (November 2016)
Product Dimensions: 8.5 x 11 x 0.6 inches
Weight: 1.62 lb